Thursday, November 26, 2009

Top Musicals

Recently my friend Rachel posted about Musicals and she cited AFI's top musicals, I don't agree. Here is AFI's top 10 and my two cents worth:

1. Singin in the Rain (ok you got me here, this is a good one, especially when he dances with the doll, great dancing)

2. West Side Story (Ok I don't like this just because I don't like the Romeo and Juliet story. I need feel good, this is not feel good)

3. The Wizard of Oz (Cinematically this was huge, they have color, as far as music...I like it better with the sound track to Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd...have you tried it yet?)

4. The Sound of Music (Fabulous, just watched it the other day, sang along the whole way through...but its a long one and again not the happiest of endings. I'd be happy turning it off at their wedding)

5. Cabaret (Never seen it)

6. Mary Poppins (This is fun, but juevenile, I have a hard time watching it at my age)

7. A Star is Born (Judy Garland has made far better movies than this, like #10, or Easter Parade, or the Andy Hardy movies)

8. My Fair Lady (This is a good one, although Audrey doesn't even sing in this movie its Julie Andrew's voice you hear)

9. American in Paris (Both Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron have done better, #1 and Anchors Aweigh for Kelly and Gigi for Caron)

10. Meet Me in St. Louis. (Great movie)

And now for my tops
1. Calamity Jane (Doris Day)
2. White Christmas
3. Holiday Inn (this movie has White Christmas and Easter Parade as songs)
4. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (#21 on AFI)
5. Meet me in St. Louis
6. Gigi
7. Grease (#20 on AFI)
8. The Sound of Music
9. My Fair Lady

0 comments: